Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

quinoa salad w. hemp & hummus crackers



Peacefood, a vegan restaurant in the UWS, has a "Fluffy Quinoa Salad" on their menu that always seems to be one of their most popular items.  It's looks delicious, but it's always hard for me to bring myself to shell out $10+ for a salad that I know I can make at home for a fractions of the cost.


For the Quinoa Salad:

It really couldn't be simpler.  I found a box of garden vegetable quinoa at my local store and cooked it ahead of time according to the directions using vegetable stock instead of water.   
Chill the quinoa in the refrigerator until cold.
Assemble a salad of darks greens and whatever extra veggies you like.  Here I used a mix of baby kale and other greens and sliced baby portabella mushrooms.
Break up the chilled quinoa with a fork and toss 1/4-1/2 cup quinoa  with the greens depending on how much quinoa you want. 
Dress if needed, I found the veggie quinoa flavor to be enough. 

For the Crackers:

Use four whole wheat crackers, like Ak-Mak.
Spread a light smear hummus of your choice  onto the crackers.  I used jalapeƱo & cilantro.
Sprinkle with hemp seeds and enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment