Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Basic "Chik'n" Barley Soup


This is a super basic, simple version of a vegan chicken noodle soup.  I didn't use any actual "chicken" type substitute, but I did use a vegan chicken broth bouillon that I found at Whole Foods.  I've been using a veggie broth bouillon lately for most of my soups, but the chicken noodle soup flavor that these bouillon cubes had totally reminded me of eating Campbell's soup as a kid!

Ingredients
Serves 2-4 

  • 4 cups water
  • 2 vegan "chicken broth" bouillon cubes
  • 4 stalks celery
  • 3 carrots, peeled
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 cup quick cook barley
  • 1 Tbs coconut or olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  1. Begin to dissolve the 2 bouillon cubes in 2 cups of warm water.
  2. Dice the celery, onion, and carrots. 
  3. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
  4. Add the carrots, onion, and celery to the pot and cook until the vegetables are softened, stirring frequently.  About 10 minutes.
  5. Reduce the heat and add the 2 cups of dissolved bouillon to the pot as well as another 2 cups of water (4 total).
  6. Add the barley and bring the pot back to boil.
  7. Salt and Pepper to taste.  I personally liked a lot of fresh cracked black pepper with this recipe.
  8. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 


No comments:

Post a Comment